What is the EEPLIANT3 Concerted Action?
EEPLIANT3 (Energy Efficiency Compliant Products 2018) is a pan-EU Concerted Action on market surveillance aiming to achieve impacts in line with the objectives of the Horizon 2020 ― Work Programme 2018-2020 Secure, Clean and Efficient Energy. The project is funded by the European Union under the Horizon 2020 framework with duration from June 2019 until May 2023.
The EEPLIANT3 Concerted Action is coordinated by PROSAFE together with the Austrian Energy Agency and Vores Bureau. The project consortium is composed of 24 Market Surveillance Authorities (MSAs) and 5 organisations from the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Turkey.
The objective of this Concerted Action is to help deliver the intended economic and environment benefits of the framework Regulation for Energy Labelling 2017/1369 and Ecodesign Directive 2009/125 by increasing the rates of compliance with them. This will be achieved through the coordination of the monitoring, verification and enforcement activities of MSAs and other organisations across the Single Market plus Turkey and through further enhancing their knowledge, skills and experience.
Furthermore, the project will seek to enhance the visibility and outreach of market surveillance activities by engaging with key stakeholders ― the ADCOs, the EU trade associations of the suppliers of the products to be inspected and consumer organisations. As a result, stakeholders will continue to build confidence in the increasing effectiveness of market surveillance in the EU/EEA.
The project activities are divided into the following 12 Work Packages (WP):
- WP1: Management, Communication and common methodologies
- WP2: Development of IT tools
- WP3: Collaboration with customs
- WP4: Centres of excellence
- WP5: Training and exchange programme
- WP6: New challenges and priorities
- WP7: Testing of air conditioners
- WP8: Testing of tumble dryers
- WP9: Testing of water heaters
- WP10: Testing of ventilation units
- WP11: Testing of lighting
- WP12: Testing of local space heaters
EEPLIANT3 Concerted Action builds upon a set of market surveillance activities on energy related products in the EU and other countries:
- ECOPLIANT (European Ecodesign Compliance Project) - started in 2012
- EEPLIANT1 (Energy Efficiency Compliant Products 2014) - run between 2015 and 2017
- EEPLIANT2 (Energy Efficiency Compliant Products 2016) - began in 2017 and will finish in 2020